Get to Know Our People – Alicia Dachs
Meet our people and learn more about the faces behind Viva Energy.
- I’ve worked at Viva Energy since 2010.
- My first job at Viva Energy was as a Product Specialist Advisor on the Technical Helpdesk, helping customers choose the correct product for their machinery.
- My role is as an Account Manager for the Industrial Lubricants sector. I help customers make the right choice about what oils they use in complex machinery.
- I help people reach their destination by understanding what my customers do and where our products can improve their manufacturing process and therefore improve their business.
- The best part of my job is the variety of industries and people that I am interacting with. I talk to people from all levels in the businesses, from CEO’s to maintenance staff and everyone in between in the manufacturing space!
- The biggest misconception people have about my role is that it’s simple! Some of the machinery I’m dealing with can be worth millions of dollars, and it’s critical that I make the correct recommendations and make sure my customers have confidence in what they are doing with the lubricants.
- I was led to this career by the great start I had on the Technical Helpdesk, where I learnt about lubricants and the role the product plays across different types of equipment. I was offered the chance to use this knowledge and work with the Industry Sales Team to support existing customers and expand our customer base.
- I prefer to start the day by 8am with a quiet cup of tea. Assam Bold is my tea preference.
- I prefer to end the day by 5pm, after which my day begins looking after my two boys.
- I am energised by problems – I love tackling puzzles & resolving the issues. Much of my job revolves around tackling my customers’ problems and finding a solution with them.
- The most interesting thing I am working on right now is finding my feet in the new “norm” – trying to talk to customers about their needs can be a challenge over the phone as not everyone likes to talk. Often you get an insight into their requirements by just looking at their workshop or equipment, but with no customer visits it’s hard to ascertain what they need virtually. Also, there are no body language clues to help me get a better understanding of what they’re thinking or feeling.
- The one behavior I attribute my success to is enthusiasm because if you try, you can achieve.
- The one thing that surprises me about working at Viva Energy is the way the people work together towards a goal. It’s really collaborative.
- The most memorable moment I had at work was my first Sales conference which was held in the Hunter region, four weeks after I started with the company, then Shell. From all the presentations and discussions I realised how complex as well as varied lubricants were, and how vital they were to keeping Australia going – from passenger vehicles to big industrial machinery to planes that keep us moving – mind boggling at the time.
- The worst job I ever had was as a tea lady at a tyre business during the summer holidays but from this, I learned that I wanted a career I love, not just a job. The job was totally tedious and I realised that I wanted something more mentally stimulating than just pushing a tea trolley around!
- The biggest mistake I made early on in my career was to start a task without thinking about what I wanted to achieve. I learned patience and forethought achieves more than just diving into a problem – but even now sometimes I need to remind myself of that!
- The greatest career advice I was given was to “try”.
- The most important skill every person should have is to listen.
- The one topic I wish I knew more about is – there’s far too many to choose from I hope that I keep learning throughout my life.
- How do you see this role evolving over the next 5 years? I see this role expanding to support our new customers. Every day presents a new challenge so I’m excited about the next 5 years.
- Early bird or night owl? I used to be a night owl but I’m now becoming an early bird!
Interested in a career with Viva Energy. Find out more