Every year people from nearly 100 countries unite to do good deeds for others as part of globally acclaimed Good Deeds Day. Employees at Viva Energy, the first Australian corporate to commit to Good Deeds Day, magnified the initiative to create Good Deeds Week for the company.
Between Monday 27 March and Sunday 2 April more than 750 Viva Energy employees across Australia donated over 650 hours to participate in 1,100 good deeds.
In addition to supporting 20 partners as part of Viva Energy’s national Community Program, employees identified community projects that were close to their hearts and developed programs aimed at improving the lives of others. Over the course of Good Deeds Week Viva Energy employees:
- Donated a total of 45 pints of blood to the Australian Blood Bank and Australian Red Cross;
- Packed 400 envelopes in three hours for Give Where You Live;
- Made 250 birthday cards for foster kids supporting the Pyjama Foundation;
- Collected and delivered over 200 non-perishable food, baby items, sanitary products for the homeless for various community partners including headspace, the Period Project and Asylum Seeker Resource Centre; and
- Provided career advice to young people from Viva Energy’s National Community program partner headspace across Australia.
Viva Energy employees donate 45 pints of blood
As part of the fundraising efforts, more than $17,000 was raised, including matched giving by Viva Energy, for charitable not-for-proit organisations. Standout contributions across Viva Energy’s sites included:
Geelong Refinery (VIC)
Viva Energy and WPC donation to Very Special Kids (left) and Geelong Refinery Leadership Team cooked 1,500 sausages (right).
- The Geelong Refinery’s maintenance team donated 40 functional valves to WPC Group apprentices and Viva Energy matched a $4,000 donation by WPC Group to Very Special Kids; and
- The Refinery’s leadership team cooked 1,500 sausages raising $2,380 for The Council for Aboriginal Alcohol Program Services (CAAPS), Red Cross and UNICEF.
Clyde Terminal (NSW)
- Raised $4,360 (including Viva Energy matching) through gold coin donation fundraising morning tea for the Fred Hollows Foundation.
Docklands Head Office (VIC)
- Hosted a fund-raising raffle that raised $820 for White Ribbon and a morning tea that raised $256 for the Cancer Council.
North Fremantle (WA)
- Cleaned out dog kennels at the Shenton Park dogs refuge home
Viva Energy Employees help at the Shenton Park dog refuge home
Viva Energy Chief Executive Officer, Scott Wyatt said, “This is the second year that Viva Energy has championed Good Deeds Week and I’m delighted that so many people across our organisation embraced the opportunity to give back to the community.
“One of the greatest things any of us can do in life is a good deed for someone else. By volunteering and helping others, we are able to put into practice the simple idea that every single person can do something good, be it large or small, to improve the lives of others.”
For more information about Viva Energy and their community program visit www.vivaenergy.com.au
About Viva Energy
Viva Energy is the exclusive licensee to the Shell brand in Australia and was launched in 2014. In addition to its 920 plus Shell branded service station network and its Geelong Reinery (VIC), Viva Energy operates bulk fuels, bitumen, marine, chemicals and lubricants businesses supported by more than 20 storage terminals across the country. Visit www.vivaenergy.com.au